- Injuries in the jaw, head and neck muscles and in the TMJ
- With a lot of pressure grinding the teeth
- Stress that tightens the jaw and facial muscles
- Arthritis in the TMJ
TMJ disorder symptoms:
- Severe pain, swelling, and discomfort in the jaw joint, face, in or around the ears, neck & shoulder while chewing, speaking and opening mouth wide.
- Sounds like clicking, grating occurs while opening and closing the mouth.
- Trouble in chewing, swallowing and discomfort bite occurs when the upper and lower teeth do not fit together properly.
- Face will have dullness and tiredness
- Dizziness, toothache, headache, tinnitus, and earaches
- Muscles stiffness in the jaw
- The Realization of symptoms at the right time is very vital to get the help from the dentist for a correct treatment.
TMJ disorder treatments:
Generally, NSAID is prescribed for pain and swelling. Muscle relaxants, anti-depression for stress are prescribed as add-ons for the patients’ problem.
Before going for surgery, the patient’s conditions are keenly monitored by the dentist and the surgeons and a thorough check-up is carried out. The treatment plans may vary based on the type of TMJ disorder and problems. Surgeon’s main motto is that the patient should not suffer before and after the surgery. Recovery time depends on the severity of the disorder and surgeries. TMJ disorder surgeries are generally done in these cases:
- A locked jaw is opened only with the help of TMD surgery.
- The open surgeries are preferred for the tumors in the jaw joint.
- Open-joint surgery is done for the bone chips.
- When bony structures that reduce to a great extent in the jaw bones is suggested for TMJ surgery.